I’m going a different direction for the June Top Five. Let’s direct our attention away from movies this month and talk about books. This could be one of those topics that I could have split into genres. I’ve read a lot of books that span many genres. However, when I sat down to write this post I went with the books that stood out the most in my mind. All the books in the top 5 are books I have read at least more than once.
Most of these books do have corresponding movies, however don’t watch the movie in lieu of reading the book. You will not only cheapen the book but you will also be cheating yourself.
- Lord of the Flies – I got my first copy in middle school; I literally read the cover off
- Moby Dick (unabridged) – Used this as part of my senior research paper. I’ve loved it since
- Ender’s Game – This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone
- Ready Player One – Any gamer and child of the 80’s should be reading this book
- Kubrick’s Game – I cannot say this enough, this is an excellent book, especially if you’re a fan of Stanley Kubrick
Of course I have some honorable mentions. Animal Farm really needs no explanation. I haven’t read this one in a while but I remember enjoying it a lot back in high school. In fact this book might move up on my re-read list. A Confederacy of Dunces was recommended to me by a stranger in a Barnes and Noble. This book is the reason I’m often inclined to read any recommendation even from a complete stranger.
What are some of your favorite books?