For July we are back to movies. My top 5 80’s Comedy Movies. The movies from the 80’s are probably some of my favorite movies, and it’s really all thanks to John Hughes. So many of them withstand the test of time. Plus its so much fun to reminisce about a simpler time. There are so many great comedies from the 80’s, which made this list difficult to whittle down to merely 5. I had to go with which movies I find myself quoting often or seeking out a giphy or being able to still recite a specific scene from the movie. So here they are, in no particular order (BTW, John Hughes wrote and/or directed 3 of them).
- The Great Outdoors – this movie has to be one of John Candy’s and Dan Aykroyd’s best
- Good Morning, Vietnam – an early Robin Williams film, saw this in high school and loved it since
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – this is a cult 80’s classic. I used to watch this anytime it was on TBS (my parents hated it)
- The ‘Burbs – probably one of my all time favorite Tom Hanks films
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles – I can still recite Steve Martins reaction at the car rental counter
Obviously, with so many movies to choose from, there are definitely some honorable mentions. I almost feel guilty leaving Caddyshack off the top 5 because it’s freaking Caddyshack. I’m sure Rodney Dangerfield is turning over in his grave. Crocodile Dundee is another one of those movies that, to this day, I would watch if TNT or TBS happened to be playing it. Hands down my favorite Paul Hogan movie, which isn’t terribly difficult since Paul Hogan didn’t make a lot of movies. So many good movies from the 80’s; I probably could have made a top 10 for my favorite 80’s movies. What are your favorite 80’s comedies?